Author Topic: OCEAN CITY FAR KAST REEL  (Read 225 times)

Offline Harry Verdurchi

• Administrator
OCEAN CITY FAR KAST REEL
« on: March 03, 2023, 07:36:49 AM »
Clever built in Thumber they call it >

Some info

Some More  info

Even More Info

and Instructions 

If a Grasshopper Carried a Shotgun .The Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!

Offline oldmanjoe

• Expert Drill/Bucket Lathe Operator
Re: OCEAN CITY FAR KAST REEL
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
 I Thank you for the link .     I was doing a little fishing to see if there was any interest in the far cast .
   I just found one that i could not pass up !       There seem to be little information on the break down of this reel , mainly the cast control system .
    I will post up some notes for a tear down , the crank side is pretty simple Ocean City .

I started by removing the crank side first ,  this will allow me to remove the spool first and get a peek at the left side pate .
   There is a hinge screw that you remove from the cross bar that allows you to remove the beauty ring and line control bar   so the spool can come out .
    Now you can see the little spring that is hooked from bar to adjusting cam .       A little push on the spring and lift off the on the cam side .

Now you can remove the left side plate .    I feel this is the best approach .      IF     I removed the left side plate first , i may have stretched or wrecked the little spring  and loose a little adjustment on the cast control dial .       Some pictures .    The rest of the reel is the basic clean up and reassembly .

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 12:41:42 PM »
Thanks Joe for posting those pix. I have several of these and One NEW IN DA BOX .
I have some pix. (Some Where )of the Innards too.
Have not fished one yet but am anxious to do so .
 Someone made an Aftermarket Mod for a PENN a Reel Similar I have to find that info .  If I recollect it works a little different to the Ocean City . Actually has Brake Shoes inside the plates to engage the Spool .
Don't who came first but don't care either .....lol

Here is another Externally Mounted Gadget by Margis  from 1940' s that is pretty Cool too.
I HAVE one mounted on a Marhoff Rel to show later .

Here is The Reel I have .

Here is some pat  info. from 1944

« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 06:38:07 PM by Wompus Cat »
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline oldmanjoe

• Expert Drill/Bucket Lathe Operator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 06:35:30 PM »
  I have the Penn 200 Surfmaster with the expanding brake shoes .
  While looking for some information , I found a old post with a penn reel with a ocean city set up on it also .
           https://reeltalk.STUFFED SHIRTSonline.org/viewtopic.php?p=72973&hilit=ocean+city+far+cast+reel#p72973