Reels of the Past and Some Still Here > PENN REELS

Suggestions on Penn Reels to 'refurbish' and what should I pay for them?

<< < (4/5) > >>

gt2003:
Here’s a few pictures of the Penn 80 and the Ocean City Brigantine.  I’ll get some of the Shakespeare later but these are the most important ones to me.  All i’ve done so far is spray some WD40 on the sideplates, lightly scrub w a toothbrush and take picutes.

The Penn turns very smoothly already so i don’t think it’s going to take much work. 

The Ocean City is another story.  Look at the screwdriver slots.  They are very, very narrow.  I’ve tried multiple screwdrivers and am having difficulty finding anything that fits.  The reel turns but is somewhat sluggish.  I’m expecting to find old, nasty grease in there but I’ve got to get in there first.  Any ideas?  Only
My very smallest screwdriver (the same one i use for taking put the small sideplate screws) will even fit in the slot but it’s not wide enough to get any torque behind it to get the screw turning.  I have a large screwdriver that is the perect width but it’s just way too thick.  I’m kind of at a loss right now.

Wompus Cat:
Good looking Reels so far

A good set of Gunsmith Screwdrivers are an Essential Tool in reel Repair and service

Bald Eagle Made some of the Best in the World but no longer .
Here is a pretty good deal on Cramazon

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-USA-Screwdriver-Gunsmithing-Screwdrivers/dp/B0030HL5O0/ref=sr_1_22?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgMqSBhDCARIsAIIVN1U7ija6HbZDzDpjxyPlQAl12-AjMHAVHEqlrX_xIxktZVvAToXDCxAaArfyEALw_wcB&hvadid=409954619932&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027454&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17946889908288663713&hvtargid=kwd-11365409127&hydadcr=24627_11409941&keywords=gunsmithing+screwdriver+set&qid=1649611853&sr=8-22

gt2003:
Thankfully they weren’t tight and used the back of a razor blade to unscrew them but yes, gonna have to upgrade something in the screwdriver department!  I’ve got one side of the sideplate screws loosened and the other side is soaking in a small spray of wd-40.  I think i’ll be able to get those loose here in a bit.  Interested to see what the inside looks like

gt2003:
Brigantine help please.  First off, under the handle is a collar.  This one is fairly oxidized and split all the way through, intentional or not.  The collar is about 1/2 inch across and 1/4 gallon inch deep.

2nd issue Is the spool gear.  It’s broken off in a couple of places.  I don’t have a schematic so i’m not sure if its removable or replaceable but there is definitely an issue with this.  I know some folks have parts so let me know if u do so I can fix this one. 

I’ve got the rest of the pieces soaking in gas right now to remove the junk from them.  I’ll be able to get a better feel for things tomorrow.

gt2003:
Pics of my problems!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version