Reels of the Past and Some Still Here > PENN REELS

Suggestions on Penn Reels to 'refurbish' and what should I pay for them?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Wompus Cat:
You won't need them Reely ,they are soooo simple and  NOPE no Drags.
I Have a Factory Manual on the Ocean City and will post the Brigantine , Prob have the Penn and Skaky Speare too .
Will dig them out and start a Schematics Board for future stuff we can add to as we go along .
Maybe  just a schematic Thread in each Reel type like  Penn and one in Ocean City  ,Shakespear ,,,and so on . Huh ?
The Brigantine was made Quite a few Years and early ones have a Key-way cut in the Sleeve that slides over the Bridge  so watch for that.

gt2003:
I think that would be an excellent idea on the Schematics.  Penn's seem pretty easy to find and there seems to be a handful of the Ocean City's available but not for the Brigantine (that I could find anyway) and the Shakespeare, pretty much nothing. 

Well, these will be interesting for me I'm sure.  I'm not familiar with what a key-cut is but I'm about ready to find out!

gt2003:
Ok, Google is my friend.  I DO know what a key way cut is, I just didn't know that I knew it... ???

gt2003:
So i got the reels today.  All seem to function perfectly.  I’ve never worked with bakelite before.  How do i ‘buff out’ the sideplates?  I can buy steel wool, already have multiple automobile rubbing compunds etc.  just not sure what to do.  Help me out here folks!!

Wompus Cat:
Well post some pix so we can see how bad or Good they are ?

I use super FINE steel wool to start with and gradually do some sanding  using many different grades to get surface scratches out  Then use polishing Compounds to get the luster  I want and finish off with several coats of Carnuba Wax .
If you just want to spiff them up use  hot soapy water and a used  dish scouring pad .(one of those Green Fiber meshed ones)dry em off then my 3M spray Wet Type Silicone Spray and it will shine like a  Big Diamond in a Fat Goats Ass.
Any and all of the above you can use .

If the Penn is the one I THINK it is you prob don't want to do any sanding on those as it would diminish the  raised surfaces on them .
 Pix please.......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version