Author Topic: Penny Penn 60  (Read 730 times)

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Penny Penn 60
« on: December 14, 2021, 04:40:41 PM »
Got this Jewell for a mere PENNY  off e-bay...lol
Felt kinda bad as I had bid a lot higher but I was the ONLY bidder and the starting bid was .01
Of course there was shipping but it was Darn Cheap As Well !

Anywho it is gonna get some much needed Redo by yours Truly.
Here is the  Start.

Not a Penn Replacement screw here.

Had some Good Line on it I saved and put on another Reel . Penny Saved you know  ::)

Line removed

Here  she is  torn down

Lookin for some Drag Glue

Into the Cleaner she Goes

more L8tr

« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 04:49:00 PM by Wompus Cat »
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline Polinasdad

• Love to fish, always fishing for old reels
Re: Penny Penn 60
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 09:36:44 PM »
Hello, I'm new, first post.  I tinker with reels a bit also.

I'm curious how you will go about working the spool over on this one.  I'll be checking in on the progress.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm the guy who listed this bad boy for starting bid .01.  I had the inspiration to do a make-over on it a couple years ago, but never took the time to dig into it.  I finally decided to pass it on, so I'm happy it's in the hands of some-one whose now broke it down rather than letting it sit in a box for 2 years. 

Clear now that the non-standard screw to hold the foot plate was really a poor fit, does that spell replace foot plate?

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 05:35:36 AM »
Well thanks for joining up here .

I REELY liked your Honest description in the ad on E-Bay
A restoration project I lost motivation for, this old Penn Long Beach 60 looks like it was first covered with fish slime and then soaked and dried repeatedly in saltwater to produce a nice even crust on all parts.  The reel will turn, but I have avoided working it much for fear of internal damage.

As for the Spool . It will get a good dousing in my carburetor cleaner to loosen all that ol Fish and saltwater baked on Slime, then hand buffed with some steel wool to see what is left of the Chrome plating and if I get lucky I can save it .

A lot of peeps use Vinegar but in my book that is a NO NO as Vinegar not only Reacts with minerals caked on the parts it is acidic enough that once it works under the Chrome it actually will peel it off leaving terrible half arsed chunks missing .
Whereas soaking in solvents will soften the crud and you can then remove by using different grades of Steel wool and most of the time you may have a few spots that are pitted but the rest of the spool can be polished out . We will see what happens with this one .

As for the aftermarket oversized self tapping Sheet Metal Screw in the Foot it also had two round screws on opposing sides of the reel on the foot with Nuts and were a Bugger to get off . Not sure what I will do with fixing those holes . ::)

It is obvious this old Soldier has seen a lot of Wars over its Span and someone liked it enough to keep it going in any way they could ....lol
The stories it holds within it's soul?

Here it is right out of the Cleaner Before hand polishing the pieces

Next the pieces  are hand  Polished a bit. NOTE the two screw and nut combos in the lower left of the pic. They were on the Foot and apparently at one time the owner had lost the original screws and stuck these in there . They are Brass and I put the factory screws back in there as the Holes were fine .
 New Drags here as well.

The Spool Cleaned up NICE just a little pitting

Guts Back in

Together Agin Ready for some Action

The rusty old Self Tapping screw broke off in Removal and I will have to drill it out later and probably can Re-thread it to use original type screw  but for now she will work

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:52:51 AM by Wompus Cat »

Offline MAXED OUT

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 07:57:59 PM »
 I'm new here too !!

Great save Henry. I'd say you did ok for a penny, and my hat's off to the seller and his good attitude after losing his a** in the auction

New guy #2 over & out

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 02:56:51 AM »
I'm new here too !!

Great save Henry. I'd say you did ok for a penny, and my hat's off to the seller and his good attitude after losing his a** in the auction

New guy #2 over & out

With the New Drags and 2 proper screws I figure it's worth at least 4 times what I paid for it !

New guy here ...lol
You been down the Pike a while.
How bout dating this old feller . Anything obvious on it besides numbered parts?

Offline Polinasdad

• Love to fish, always fishing for old reels
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 09:47:54 AM »

I'm super impressed with the way the spool and other chrome parts turned out. Nice work!!  I appreciate the tip about vinegar, I like it for brass parts, but for pitted chrome I've also noticed it gets under the chrome and in the end destroys more of the finish than the oxidization.  What do you use for solvent--I like fast drying acetone myself.

Will you do anything to the little screw hole that secures the handle cap screw?  It's stripped out, so the only fix I can imagine is to tap it out after welding it in, or perhaps tapping a new hole in another location? 

Also curious about steel wool, for working the spool over, what grade do you find works best?

Lovely work...I'll keep you in mind the next time I come across a reel worth 1 cent!!

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »

I'm super impressed with the way the spool and other chrome parts turned out. Nice work!!  I appreciate the tip about vinegar, I like it for brass parts, but for pitted chrome I've also noticed it gets under the chrome and in the end destroys more of the finish than the oxidization.  What do you use for solvent--I like fast drying acetone myself.
For crud and Grease I just use Cheap gasoline and soak parts in it a while.
I have Professional Part Cleaners and Ultra Sound at shop if Needed.

Will you do anything to the little screw hole that secures the handle cap screw?
 It's stripped out, so the only fix I can imagine is to tap it out after welding it in, or perhaps tapping a new hole in another location? 

You can just Peen The Backside of the Hole and reuse the old screw ,just don't over torque it .

Also curious about steel wool, for working the spool over, what grade do you find works best?
Depending on amount of Crud I generally start with medium grade and work down to the super Fine 0000[/sizeIf you care to use it

Lovely work...I'll keep you in mind the next time I come across a reel worth 1 cent!!

I might be able to double that in Future Purchases with inflation and all ...... ;D

We have a FOR SALE SECTION HERE  For Members .
Feel Free to post stuff .
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:35:38 PM by Wompus Cat »