Author Topic: Bronson /True Temper Model 63/63L Uniispin Stuff  (Read 436 times)

Offline nomdeplume57

• Administrator
Bronson /True Temper Model 63/63L Uniispin Stuff
« on: November 23, 2020, 07:10:58 AM »
After posts and discussions here and elsewhere I decided to dig out some of  (what I could Find so far ) Uni's and explore their
guts and noticed some quality but a lot of cheapness too.
The Reel could be a little beefier in the Gears for one thing and better tolerances on the slide mechanisms but all in all if you keep all the screws tight internally IT performs quite well .
 From my initial tear down the only difference between the 63 and the L is the lever (part # 1231 in Diagram here https://zerohourzebco.createaforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=87.0;attach=295 ) inside that moves the Spindle shaft for casting   in and out along with the name on the side plate which seems to me that all you need to do is make or get the other lever to which you want the right or left retrieve for and install it . Haven't done this yet but am going to see if it works. The lever is not interchangeable as in side to side and all I can find in my stash are Reels with the handle on the Right side but I know I have some more of these somewhere ,.
Pix and more later...............

Offline DutchFisher

Re: Bronson /True Temper Model 63/63L Uniispin Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:12:40 AM »
Super! Thanks for finding this info. Perhaps i can buy a righthanded for at least some of the parts?

Yes some parts are very soft metal. Especially  number149 (picture) That one is very damaged and partly ate away number 1239.

There are even some plastic parts in it, i believe 419. They are broken because the grease in the reel ate it away.

I have to find all these parts before repairing the 63 L i baught on ebay from a German who said it was in good condition :-( And my original reel still has the cap clued on it. I tryed to heat it a bit but no effect. Perhaps not hot enough but didn’t dare to heat it more.

I saw on ebay a part of Penn that looks very simular as 1239 but the seller couldn’t tell if it is.

Many thanks again!

Offline nomdeplume57

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:12:58 AM »
I have to find all these parts before repairing the 63 L i baught on ebay from a German who said it was in good condition :-( And my original reel still has the cap clued on it. I tryed to heat it a bit but no effect. Perhaps not hot enough but didn’t dare to heat it more.

You sure it is Glued as one of mine was a real pain to get apart but I used a Belt Wrench to unscrew it .
If you don't know what a belt wrench is I will post a pic soon.
And that piece you have that is all messed up would be an esy fix in a press or cut some hard wood to sandwich it in a vise .

Offline DutchFisher

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:13:17 AM »
Yes, sure it was glued with 2 component glue.

On the schedule you can see the parts for L and R that are diffirent. I saw in the 2nd and 3th collom difirent numbers for L next to R.

I don’t have special tools like a press and so on. I would prefer to change them with original parts. Found a couple of the plastic parts on ebay yesterday. Still looking for the other parts.

Perhaps i will buy a donor reel.

Offline nomdeplume57

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:13:36 AM »
Yes, sure it was glued with 2 component glue.

On the schedule you can see the parts for L and R that are diffirent. I saw in the 2nd and 3th collom difirent numbers for L next to R.

I don’t have special tools like a press and so on. I would prefer to change them with original parts. Found a couple of the plastic parts on ebay yesterday. Still looking for the other parts.

Perhaps i will buy a donor reel.

Well I just realized the extra column you posted about and the different part numbers for some of the pieces . I could not understand why the pinion gear would be different but after tearing a couple down again realized the right hand pinion is a different thread direction from the left hand reel but don't really see the significance as they don't don't  do this on other reels .
Maybe they thought the reel spinning in the opposite direction Might loosen the drag but I just don't think so as for the other pieces that have diff numbers other than the piece I mentioned  earlier in this thread I still am comparing those .