Reels of the Past and Some Still Here > PENN REELS

How old is my Penn Reel ??

(1/4) > >>

MAXED OUT:
 This question is often asked by someone wanting to know how collectable or valuable thier Penn reel might be. Several variables are involved. Older reels may have slight differences thru the years, while others have noticeable differences.

I could go on forever about this, but some of the best info can be found in Mike C. Penn history book. If you have a question about dating your old Penn Reel, post it up here and we will help you out. P.S. I know nothing about international reels

Dating this squidder to a 3 year period is possible if you know what to look for.

Ricky Raffle:
Can you tell by looking how old this one is . I have the Book but do not see this one in it anywhere .

MAXED OUT:
Hello Rick, the history book leaves out a lot of the tidbits to help people find the era for their reel. So many variables that would take another book just to skirt the surface.

Your squidder has the word "gear" at midway point of the shift lever sweep. This would date your reel to approximately pre 1960. Penn switched black sideplates to dark maroon and the word "gear" disappeared, never to return. Now, let's whittle it down from there. Your reel has no visible parts numbers and that means pre-1950. Your reel also has a smooth sided counterbalance on the handle. This would date it to 1942, or 1946. I can't see the spool, which would determine if it's pre war or not. Look for a lip where the arbor meets the side flanges. If there is a lip, it's pre war. If there is a smooth transition from the arbor to the flange, then it's 1946

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask a follow-up question if you can't make sense of my jibber jabber

-Ted

Ricky Raffle:
If you blow that picture up it LOOKS like there is a Lip on the Spool and te Spool looks like Aluminum BUT did they make aluminum spools back then?

Wompus Cat:
That Reel was on E-bay on a Buy it Now and some one just bought it for 35 bux.
Jiggy 240 No Numbers

Deal or NO DEAL ????

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version