Author Topic: PENN BAJA SPECIAL 113HN and U.S. SENATOR MODEL BRIDGE PROBLEMS  (Read 279 times)

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
PENN BAJA SPECIAL 113HN and U.S. SENATOR MODEL BRIDGE PROBLEMS
« on: December 02, 2022, 06:59:30 AM »
The otherwise REEL GOOD PENN BAJA REEL and the U.S. SENATOR have a MAJOR FLAW in their Bridge/Bridge Plate as the Pins that hold the Dogs in place will just pop out causing CATOSTROPHIC  FAILURE if left unchecked .
This is REALLY a CHEAP ASS DESIGN in my opinion  and I can't believe Penn let them out to Customers  to start with .
Fortunately there are some things you can do if you catch it in time .
                                        What reels are affected?
ALL OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED I HAVE TORN DOWN
Here is what I did on a few and Below there is a More Permanent Solution by Cortez Conversion that REELY TAKES CARE OF THE BLUNDER Below

Here is what happens . The pins come out  thus allowing the Dogs to just fall all over the place and eventually will tear up the whole Sprigenwerks

What I did is Clean the Hell out of the whole thing with Brake Cleaner

Then peen the pins back in place with a Center Punch by placing the  top on a Solid piece of metal and clobbering it from the Back Side .Then turn the plate over and Punch 4 or 5 spots around the circumference THEN add a few Drops of Suber Glue back and front .

This is a Fix and  NOT a Permanent one however  it will last a lot longer than originally configured and get you back fishing for some time .

The BEST WAY is to Buy a Modified Assembly from Cortez Conversions and don't worry about your 400 DOLLAR  reel Disintegrating on ya when you least expect it  which is  usually the moment you hook in to that Fish of  a LIFETIME.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PART From TOM  https://cortezconversions.com

It is BEEFED UP with solid pins and re positioned springs, a Solid  Stainless one piece Gear Sleeve !

It is DAMN NEAR INDESTRUCTIBLE with a NEW Heavy Duty Stainless Steel  1 Piece MULTI Tooth Gear Sleeve ,Modified Pins , Springs, and Retainers .

AVAILABLE HERE

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:07:58 AM by Wompus Cat »
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
PENN 113HN BRIDGE PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »
Another BOO  BOO or CHEAP ASS PART on some of these are the Plastic CRAP Stars

NEW METAL ONES AVAILABLE FROM MYSTIC

CLICK HERE TO SEE PART
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 09:05:01 AM by Wompus Cat »

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Re: PENN BAJA SPECIAL 113HN and U.S. SENATOR MODEL BRIDGE PROBLEMS
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 03:24:38 AM »
Tore into a Recently acquired U.S.113 Senator . Yep it has the Same Guts as the BAJA
This one however DID NOT have the loose pins in it but rather a looks like FACTORY MODIFIED
BRIDGE PLATE in that the pins are bigger on bottom and protrude more through the plate as well as they are PEENED much better than previous versions and SHOULD HOLD UP !
 I wonder IF someone could get hold of Tony (The PENN REP) over on tani site and ask him WHADDUP and when did PENN wake up and fix this . Here are some pix and a pic of the Frame #

Maybe this number will help pin point when this started

NOW ANOTHER PROBLEM
This reel has a hairline crack in the Handle side Side Plate

Wonder How Many of these there are out there ?????

I will Stop Drill  and Fill it so she should be good to go  but still why in the first place ????
Screws were not loose or no sign of abuse ....

« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 08:44:16 AM by Wompus Cat »