Author Topic: Bryan Young 7+1 Drag Kits for 113 H Bad Fitment ?  (Read 438 times)

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Bryan Young 7+1 Drag Kits for 113 H Bad Fitment ?
« on: May 07, 2022, 08:00:31 PM »
Watch out for these . The kit LOOKS LEGITIMATE however the EARED Washers are (looks like Stamped but Bryan says they are Laser Cut ) but the ears are off set just  enough so they won't fit properly .

I tried Grinding and filing  one and got it to kinda work but not the fit I expect from a Quality Laser Cut product. The Flat washers fit and slip right in just fine .

You really have to look close but you can see the Ears or Tangs are off set,irregular ,and just a hair too long .

More pix later when I can get closer images

I got one and they are NOT CUT Right  and DO NOT FIT

Just found this on Mystic  about SOME Mods are needed for SS Gears but the Kit I have won't work on the original gear either

https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN113H.aspx
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 08:06:15 AM by Wompus Cat »
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline Harry Verdurchi

• Administrator
Re: Bad Fitment Bryan Young 7+1 Drag Kits for 113 H ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 08:42:53 PM »
Here is the PROBLEM posted on Mystic Parts

https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN113H.aspx

Ultimate Upgrades by Bryan Young
Convert your 3-stack or 5-stack to the Ultimate 7+1 Drag System
"For those who love the smaller and yet very strong 113H (4/0 High Speed), yet desire higher drags to compliment the great Stainless Steel Penn gears or the aftermarket Black Pearl, Newell, or Accurate Stainless Steel Gears, this set is designed for you. Improve your 5 + 1 drag system by moving up to a 7 + 1 drag system for a smoother drag with increased stopping power. (Approx up to 25# of drag). "

Kit Contains:

2 - Thick Carbontex* Drag Washers
    4 - Medium Carbontex* Drag Washers
    1 - Under Gear Carbontex* Drag Washer
    4 - Stainless Steel Keyed Washers
    3 - Stainless Steel Earred Washers

PENN is a registered trademark of Pure Fishing Inc
*Carbontex is a tradename of SmoothDrag.

Fits Models:
113H, 113H-LH, 113HL, 113HLW, 113HSP

COMPATIBILITY / MODIFICATION NOTICE

If using the UU-PENN113H Bryan Young custom drag washer set with the 113H Pro Challenger stainless steel gears P316113H401, there is a machining issue where the ear holes in these gears are a bit snugger than on the standard...so the ears on the metals in the UU washer kit will need to be filed down a little bit if they do not fit on first attempt.
Penn Old SKU #:    UU-PENN113H
Penn New SKU #:    UU-PENN113Hâ–²
Our Price:    $44.00 SET

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:07:55 AM by Wompus Cat »
If a Grasshopper Carried a Shotgun .The Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Re: Bad Fitment Bryan Young 7+1 Drag Kits for 113 H ?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 01:09:34 PM »
The So Called Compatibility /Fitment Modification is not jut for Pro Gear stuff .They won't work on my stock gear either .

Here they  are in a Pro Challenger Gear  and a Factory Gear . The Washer  will NOT fit properly in either one with out doing some serious grinding and filing .

And the washer from Smooth Drag. Standard thickness fits FINE in Both Pro Gear and Stock Gear.

In this pic you can see the miss matched shape .
On Top is how it is suppose to be . The Bottom washer is Too Fat and tall to work

Suffice it to SAY you can fiddle around and make these work but this is NOT the Quality of LASER CUT parts I am accustomed to and was disappointed in the response I got from the Maker when I asked him if he had had any problems with these  and here is what he replied.

Bryan Young

Ultimate Upgrades Drags
    Administrator
    The Reel Whisperer

Re: 7 + 1 Drag Kit Penn 113
Sent to: Wompus Cat on: May 07, 2022, 09:18:08 AM You have forwarded or responded to this message.

Quote from: Wompus Cat on May 06, 2022, 11:00:09 PM
    Have you had any complaints about fitment with these?
    The reason I ask is I got a kit with some parts I bought from a Member here and the Tangs on the Metal Washers are Offset about 8 degrees so they will Not seat properly in the Gear.

From Bryan
I have never had a complaint about the fitment for the 113 drag kit. The washers are designed on CAD and are 180 degrees opposite each other if there is something off, then it's likely not be my washers.  Can you send me a photo of the fitment issues to hawaiianfishinboy@yahoo.com?

Apparently he has not read the info I found on Mystic about the Problem they found  with them and suggested you modify them to fit .

WELL HERE IT IS A COMPLAINT
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 06:42:32 PM by Wompus Cat »

Offline Crab Pot

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Re: Bryan Young 7+1 Drag Kits for 113 H Bad Fitment ?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 08:36:07 PM »
I have never had a complaint about anything I ordered from Bryan Young and I have ordered many drag sets from his company.

I also know him personally.

If ever there was something wrong I know he would stand behind his products it and make it right.

My 2-cents-worth,

Steve
Buy It Nice Or Buy It Twice.

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Re: Bryan Young 7+1 Drag Kits for 113 H Bad Fitment ?
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 06:34:46 AM »
I have never had a complaint about anything I ordered from Bryan Young and I have ordered many drag sets from his company.

I also know him personally.

If ever there was something wrong I know he would stand behind his products it and make it right.

My 2-cents-worth,

Steve

Thank you for your input .  That's how things get done .

Maybe I am just the overlooked kid at the Candy  Counter .
However Pictures don't lie and it is what it is . The kit I got was fubarred and when I was a contributing Member on Tiny Town I reached out to Bryan long before he got sick about it (Nearly 2 years ago )and asked for replacement parts . All I got was what I posted above .
The Fact Remains the parts I got were not cut properly whether he used a Laser or a Horse Shoe Rasp and this anomaly is posted on Mystic Parts that alterations are needed for proper fitment .

I have 2 sets of these I won't be using if anyone wants them 20 bux each shipped  to U.S.A. addy's

1. For 113H  (SOLD)
2. For Penn Jig Master
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 07:06:06 AM by Wompus Cat »