Author Topic: Ocean city Brigantine  (Read 520 times)

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Ocean city Brigantine
« on: April 16, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »
I’m moving this thread here since its for the ocean city Brigantine that i picked up as part of a 3 reel group.  I’ve soaked it in gas to remove all the oils/greases.  Next i soaked the parts in CLR which easily removed the surface rust. 
I’m a little surprised since I found Brigantine schematics on reelschematics.com .  All the schematics show an eccentric and an eccentric spring.  Mine has the eccentric but not the spring.  The eccentric fits into the bridge, so not exactly sure what model i have.
I want to remove the main gear to grease the  shaft but am having difficulty removing the gear.  Any tips to remove it.
Here are some before and after pics.  When i removed the line, the spool shaft was oxidized.  I used some wd40 and sandpaper and removed the oxidation.  Once that was done, i soaked it in CLR to remove the rest.  I have sanded the side plates w 400 and 600 grit sandpaper but have not waxed it quite yet.  Look through my pics and let me know what you think of the progress and what u feel the next steps should be.  Thanks Gentlemen!

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Re: Ocean city Brigantine
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 09:05:50 PM »
In the Gallery here are some pix of ONE of the Brigantine Models and their Gearing

As I mentioned in the other thread you may not have seen their are quite a Few  Versions of this Reel and you have what appears to be one of the Earliest in that the Main Gear is made on the Sleeve and does not come off. The whole shebang should pull off the Bridge plate I think .
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 09:30:36 PM »
Nope, i missed that.  But i’m very thankful I know now.  I do need to sand the inside rim of the sideplates and then apply wax.  Once that is done i will reassemble and post pics.

There is what appears to be some chipping on the outside of the bakelite plate where the handle shaft goes through the sideplate.  I’m hoping this won’t affect anything but I’ll figure that out as I move forward.  It might require a washer or something but I’ll figure that out in a day or two.

I’m ready to wrap up this project so I can move on to the Penn 80.

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 09:45:39 PM »
I just Texted you the whad up on this .lol
Your Side plate is Broken off at the Handle ,your Main Gear is made on the Sleeve /Shaft, and that whole thing SHOULD pull off the Bridge Plate.
The pinion will come off the Spool HOWEVER there is really no need to and it has an itty bitty  cir-clip
holding it on and I MEAN ITTTTTTTTY BITTTTTTY ous.
Your reel will go back just fine with the piece broke off and that was what was throwing me the first time .
Here is the Gear  off the Bridge Plate (it Just pulls off)

Here is a Side plate complete (your Exttrucean piece is Missing ) But Reel will work fine with out it ,,just will get more crap in there.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:15:45 AM by Wompus Cat »

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »
Thank You.  I just can’t seem to get the main gear off at this point no matter what i do.  Very frustrated. 

How low do u go on sandpaper to get the sideplates to shine like yours do?  I went to 600 grit and i’ve put a couple of layers of car polish on but there is minimal shine.  I haven't had a chance to pick up Carnauba wax yet but i will soon.  Just not getting any type of shine and not sure if its wax related or that i either didn’t sand off enough or if my final grit wasn’t fine enough.

I’m not worried about the spool.  I got all the corrosion off and i’m happy with that.

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 02:22:27 PM »
Don't Know  WHERE ya Got using 600 Grit from  ???????
But that ain't what you want to use .
SUPER FINE STEEL WOOL .!!!  Not Brass
Then 1000 , 1500, and finish with Wet 2000. Then polish ,then Wax .
The Gear does NOT come off by itself it is one piece and the Whole thing Should pull up off the Bridge plate .
It is Rare but yours MAY have a screw down in there where the handle nut goes  but RARE. If it spins Freely leave it alone and drop some oil in the hole and go on
You will get there just take your time .This ain't a NASCAR  Race.....lol .It took seventy or more years to put that in the condition it's in .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 05:36:52 PM by Wompus Cat »

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »
Thats what i needed to know.  I picked up the super fine steel wool late this week and will pick up the finer grit sandpaper and the wax soon.

I’m not messing w the gear any longer.  It spins freely and won’t budge so it will get oil.  I’m usually a stickler for breaking things down all the way but i’m stopping short in this situation. 

Glad its not nascar.  I’ve got plenty of time and this is a learning project and apparently i have a lot of learning to do!

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 09:38:37 PM »
Like I said there are quite a few Versions of this Model and without closer pix of the Gear and Bridge plate I can't understand WHY it does not pull off UNLESS it has a pin through the Bridge Maybe ?
Steady as She Goes ,You Will Get there .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 02:57:42 PM by Wompus Cat »

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 12:43:56 PM »
I've got the sideplates resanded.  I started with 0000 steel wool, then 1000, 1500, 2000, wet 2000.  They've got a nice luster to them.  There is still either some oxidation or maybe just 'age' on them tht seems to not want to go away.  Before I sand all the way to China, I'm going to stop, polish and wax and likely leave it at that.  I'm new to Bakelite so I was under the impression that i could sand/buff/wax these out to a nice, even, consistent shine.  I just don't think that's a reality at this point so i'll post them below and you tell me what you think.

All the rust on the reel was surface rust and came off nice and easy when soaked in CLR cleaner.  Now there is quite a bit of brass color showing through that was underneath the chrome.  Should I just use a metal polish on this prior to reassembly? 

Finally, the gear is turning nicely after soaking in gas for a while.  I can't get it off the bridge but will just add a drop or two of oil to the shaft as suggested and put some reel grease on the gear and pinion.

Getting close to the end.  Thanks for all the help so far!

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 02:09:48 PM »
Done!  I got the sideplates to where i was happy with them, polished them and waxed them then lightly greased everything  and reassembled.  It looks like i’m missing 4 short sideplate screws.  The ones that go through sideplate into the foot of the reel.  The ones that were in there are quite long and stick out maybe 1/8 or more inside the frame.  Much of the chrome was worn off the foot and the bars.  I polished them up and they look pretty nice.  The CLR cleaner really took off the surface rust and the gunk off the screws.  I think i’ll be using it again. 

The operation of the reel is not bad.  It feels a little more archaic than the other saltwater reels i have but i believe its probably a reflection of the timeframe of the reel. 

Here are a few pics of the finished product.  It will be time to break into the Penn 80 once we r back from my stepsons Navy bootcamp coming up this week!  Thanks for looking.

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 02:33:33 PM »
Excellent Job . Sweat and finger pains paid off !!!!!
The Early Brigantines were German Silver not Chrome and is why the foot came out so well .
You can cut those screws off  ;)

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 06:14:29 PM »
Thank You Henry.  I’m pretty satisfied with how it turned out.  The free spool is nice but I kinda thought the cranking portion would be a little smoother.  It’s much smoother than it was before though.  I have to remember it is about 80 years old. 

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
I touched base with a guy over on another siteand he was kind enough to send me the proper length screws.  Thanks

Reel Project #1 complete.  Reel #2 started, Penn 80.  It's broken down and sitting on my work bench until I have time to give it some attention.  Stay tuned to the PENN reels section for pics!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 01:32:04 AM by Wompus Cat »