Reels of the Past and Some Still Here > OCEAN CITY REELS (WHERE Penn Got It's Begining)

Ocean city Brigantine

(1/3) > >>

gt2003:
I’m moving this thread here since its for the ocean city Brigantine that i picked up as part of a 3 reel group.  I’ve soaked it in gas to remove all the oils/greases.  Next i soaked the parts in CLR which easily removed the surface rust. 
I’m a little surprised since I found Brigantine schematics on reelschematics.com .  All the schematics show an eccentric and an eccentric spring.  Mine has the eccentric but not the spring.  The eccentric fits into the bridge, so not exactly sure what model i have.
I want to remove the main gear to grease the  shaft but am having difficulty removing the gear.  Any tips to remove it.
Here are some before and after pics.  When i removed the line, the spool shaft was oxidized.  I used some wd40 and sandpaper and removed the oxidation.  Once that was done, i soaked it in CLR to remove the rest.  I have sanded the side plates w 400 and 600 grit sandpaper but have not waxed it quite yet.  Look through my pics and let me know what you think of the progress and what u feel the next steps should be.  Thanks Gentlemen!

Wompus Cat:
In the Gallery here are some pix of ONE of the Brigantine Models and their Gearing

As I mentioned in the other thread you may not have seen their are quite a Few  Versions of this Reel and you have what appears to be one of the Earliest in that the Main Gear is made on the Sleeve and does not come off. The whole shebang should pull off the Bridge plate I think .

gt2003:
Nope, i missed that.  But i’m very thankful I know now.  I do need to sand the inside rim of the sideplates and then apply wax.  Once that is done i will reassemble and post pics.

There is what appears to be some chipping on the outside of the bakelite plate where the handle shaft goes through the sideplate.  I’m hoping this won’t affect anything but I’ll figure that out as I move forward.  It might require a washer or something but I’ll figure that out in a day or two.

I’m ready to wrap up this project so I can move on to the Penn 80.

Wompus Cat:
I just Texted you the whad up on this .lol
Your Side plate is Broken off at the Handle ,your Main Gear is made on the Sleeve /Shaft, and that whole thing SHOULD pull off the Bridge Plate.
The pinion will come off the Spool HOWEVER there is really no need to and it has an itty bitty  cir-clip
holding it on and I MEAN ITTTTTTTTY BITTTTTTY ous.
Your reel will go back just fine with the piece broke off and that was what was throwing me the first time .
Here is the Gear  off the Bridge Plate (it Just pulls off)

Here is a Side plate complete (your Exttrucean piece is Missing ) But Reel will work fine with out it ,,just will get more crap in there.

gt2003:
Thank You.  I just can’t seem to get the main gear off at this point no matter what i do.  Very frustrated. 

How low do u go on sandpaper to get the sideplates to shine like yours do?  I went to 600 grit and i’ve put a couple of layers of car polish on but there is minimal shine.  I haven't had a chance to pick up Carnauba wax yet but i will soon.  Just not getting any type of shine and not sure if its wax related or that i either didn’t sand off enough or if my final grit wasn’t fine enough.

I’m not worried about the spool.  I got all the corrosion off and i’m happy with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version