Author Topic: Suggestions on Penn Reels to 'refurbish' and what should I pay for them?  (Read 767 times)

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Here’s a few pictures of the Penn 80 and the Ocean City Brigantine.  I’ll get some of the Shakespeare later but these are the most important ones to me.  All i’ve done so far is spray some WD40 on the sideplates, lightly scrub w a toothbrush and take picutes.

The Penn turns very smoothly already so i don’t think it’s going to take much work. 

The Ocean City is another story.  Look at the screwdriver slots.  They are very, very narrow.  I’ve tried multiple screwdrivers and am having difficulty finding anything that fits.  The reel turns but is somewhat sluggish.  I’m expecting to find old, nasty grease in there but I’ve got to get in there first.  Any ideas?  Only
My very smallest screwdriver (the same one i use for taking put the small sideplate screws) will even fit in the slot but it’s not wide enough to get any torque behind it to get the screw turning.  I have a large screwdriver that is the perect width but it’s just way too thick.  I’m kind of at a loss right now.

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:37:58 AM by Wompus Cat »
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Thankfully they weren’t tight and used the back of a razor blade to unscrew them but yes, gonna have to upgrade something in the screwdriver department!  I’ve got one side of the sideplate screws loosened and the other side is soaking in a small spray of wd-40.  I think i’ll be able to get those loose here in a bit.  Interested to see what the inside looks like

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Brigantine help please.  First off, under the handle is a collar.  This one is fairly oxidized and split all the way through, intentional or not.  The collar is about 1/2 inch across and 1/4 gallon inch deep.

2nd issue Is the spool gear.  It’s broken off in a couple of places.  I don’t have a schematic so i’m not sure if its removable or replaceable but there is definitely an issue with this.  I know some folks have parts so let me know if u do so I can fix this one. 

I’ve got the rest of the pieces soaking in gas right now to remove the junk from them.  I’ll be able to get a better feel for things tomorrow.

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Pics of my problems!

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
The Gear (Pinion ) is fine . That is a Recess to fit over the Mandrel underneath.
The Sleeve ......ain't seen one quite like that ..need to do some checking .

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
There are at least 4 versions of the Brigantine (AKA OCEAN CITY 111)
I have all of them and schematics BUT Schematics are in the Factory Manual I have and will have to Scan them for here . here is a jist .

Here is a link to our  Gallery Here that shows on of my BRIGANTINES Disassembled that Might Help .
https://oldreelcollectors.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=28
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:53:16 PM by Wompus Cat »

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner

This looks like maybe CORK ? or is it Metal ?
Some sort of Shim someone stuck in there ?.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:22:07 PM by Wompus Cat »

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Good info on the pinion gear.  That's a relief.

The sleeve/collar is a bit strange.  I am in agreement that it's an 'aftermarket' addition.  It's made of some type of pot metal that's partially oxidized so I'm not sure at all where that came from.  I'm guessing that can just be done away with??

I've got all internals soaking in gasoline (outside) for the time being.  Hopefully I'll have time this evening to get them out, scrub them down with a toothbrush and get ready for reassembly.  Then I'll work on reconditioning the sideplates.  I've got to get some fine steelwool so I can work further on removing the oxidation and junk from the other parts.  The shaft mechanism is turning much more freely now with the initial soaking in gasoline.  I need to get the main gear off the shaft so I can get that whole thing scrubbed down as well. 

Making progress!