Author Topic: Suggestions on Penn Reels to 'refurbish' and what should I pay for them?  (Read 720 times)

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
After taking apart and servicing the PENN 350 Leveline and the Ocean City 112 (before Wompus Cats improvements), what are some good Penn models for me to refurbish and what are some good price points for them?  This has become quite fun for me so I thought I'd track down a project or two and see how they come out.  I know there are quite a few on eBay but I also see them regularly listed on my local facebook marketplace.  Thanks in advance.

Online Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
ANY OLDER PENN ....lol\

AND as far as Price ,,,,thats a Tuffy as I pay too much for what I want but try to compare past sales on e-bay to judge worth.

I  loathed Penns til I started talking to Ted (MAXED OUT) and saw all you can do to them with all the HOT ROD parts you can get for them . Just start buying them you will see .
You ain't a Reel Builder  till you build a  Senator 113 with all the GOODIES ....lol

Long Beach,Squidders, Jigmasters, Beachmasther Peers, and Gobs more .
Ted knows em all .

Going to start posting some Customized Penns in the NEW Board Ted suggested soon .
https://oldreelcollectors.com/index.php/board,45.0.html

For Ocean City , I like the ones like you have  but my Favorite is the 922 and 923 . Quite a REEL and overlooked by many
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 07:57:47 AM by Wompus Cat »
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline MAXED OUT

Geeze Henry, nice harem of 113H you have there. It's nice to be able to upgrade your reel and have it be unique to any other. The 113H has more upgrade options than any other reel on the planet

Well, I'll go a little off the beaten path here. One of the most overlooked and under appreciated Penn reels is the 309. It has Jigmaster 500 main gear and long beach 60 pinion, for a 3/1 gear ratio. This makes it stronger than a 4/1 jigmaster. The 309 is well built and fishes great as stock configuration, but there are a few options for upgrades. Handle assembly, steel gear sleeve, seat, and aluminum spool. I stick with the good old USA made 309's. If it's china made, it wont say "made in USA" on the tailplate. A really nice 309 can be had on eBay for $25-35. Parts for the 309 are easy to locate, swo no worries about it becoming obsolete

The red one shown here is one I dreamed up. The black one is bone stock and really nice condition and came with original box for $26+8 shipping(eBay)

Mad Max

P.S. spellcheck still never heard of a jigmaster
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:57:30 PM by MAXED OUT »

Online Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Geeze Henry, nice harem of 113H you have there. It's nice to be able to upgrade your reel and have it be unique to any other. The 113H has more upgrade options than any other reel on the planet

I got a lots more to show .
in the CUSTOMIZED PENN BOARD soon including the 1 OF ONLY FOUR MAXED OUT ALL MATCHING RED 113 ,s
  BULLET PROOFED  Cortez Plates ,10 tooth SS Sleeve ,SS Gears,SS Dual Dogged Bridge Plate, Carbon Tex Drags ,MAXED OUT BLADE , Reel Wrecker Knob Custom Painted by yours Truly to match  your Blade (Kinda)but best of ALL
THE LAST ALL RED Yellow Tail Special  MAXED OUT KIT .

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Ok, I think I'll start with a 309 and see how that goes.  Not sure I need another hobby but I sure do like tinkering with reels.  Thanks Gentlemen!

Online Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
It is a GOOD ADDICTION or AFFLICTION (Not Too Sure).

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
I found a local seller offering a Penn 80, Ocean City Brigantine and a Shakespeare 1905 Deuce FK in box, all 3 total for $30.  Good deal?  Sounds like it to me.  IF there’s anything wrong w them, can i likely find parts?

Online Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Yepper go get em or send me the link .........

I got the pix you sent and what I could tell the Penn 80 is pretty old with the rogh side plates (Ted will know) and the Maroon Side plates on the Brigantine is also pretty awesome . THe shaky spear is 1951 .

Online Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Here are the Reels Greg is getting

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
I believe I found the Penn 80 Schematic on mysticparts.com.  Does anyone have the schematics for the Brigantine or the 1905 Deuce?

It doesn't look like any of them have drags, am I right?  Are they all Thumb Drag or maybe even a knuckle buster in there somewhere?

Thanks gentlemen. 

Online Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
You won't need them Reely ,they are soooo simple and  NOPE no Drags.
I Have a Factory Manual on the Ocean City and will post the Brigantine , Prob have the Penn and Skaky Speare too .
Will dig them out and start a Schematics Board for future stuff we can add to as we go along .
Maybe  just a schematic Thread in each Reel type like  Penn and one in Ocean City  ,Shakespear ,,,and so on . Huh ?
The Brigantine was made Quite a few Years and early ones have a Key-way cut in the Sleeve that slides over the Bridge  so watch for that.

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
I think that would be an excellent idea on the Schematics.  Penn's seem pretty easy to find and there seems to be a handful of the Ocean City's available but not for the Brigantine (that I could find anyway) and the Shakespeare, pretty much nothing. 

Well, these will be interesting for me I'm sure.  I'm not familiar with what a key-cut is but I'm about ready to find out!

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Ok, Google is my friend.  I DO know what a key way cut is, I just didn't know that I knew it... ???

Offline gt2003

• FISHING REEL LOVER
So i got the reels today.  All seem to function perfectly.  I’ve never worked with bakelite before.  How do i ‘buff out’ the sideplates?  I can buy steel wool, already have multiple automobile rubbing compunds etc.  just not sure what to do.  Help me out here folks!!

Online Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Well post some pix so we can see how bad or Good they are ?

I use super FINE steel wool to start with and gradually do some sanding  using many different grades to get surface scratches out  Then use polishing Compounds to get the luster  I want and finish off with several coats of Carnuba Wax .
If you just want to spiff them up use  hot soapy water and a used  dish scouring pad .(one of those Green Fiber meshed ones)dry em off then my 3M spray Wet Type Silicone Spray and it will shine like a  Big Diamond in a Fat Goats Ass.
Any and all of the above you can use .

If the Penn is the one I THINK it is you prob don't want to do any sanding on those as it would diminish the  raised surfaces on them .
 Pix please.......

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 07:29:30 PM by Wompus Cat »