Author Topic: Penn 113H 4/0 Restore Help  (Read 421 times)

Offline dusdau

• FISHING REEL LOVER
Penn 113H 4/0 Restore Help
« on: January 10, 2022, 08:09:57 AM »
I have an old Penn 113H 4/0 on its way, and would like to get it looking as good as I can, but also plan on using it, so no interest necessarily in getting it mint condition. I've attached some pics of the reel. I bought from ebay using my phone (so images weren't as revealing as on a PC), and it isn't in quite as good a shape as I first thought, especially the spool. Still got for an appropriate price, though. Any tips on how to get the metal rings, spool, etc. looking as good as possible appreciated. Removing oxidation, getting rid of pits, imperfections as much as possible, polishing, etc. I've been on TINY TOWN too, and the best routes to take are a little overwhelming. I'd like to avoid replacing the spool, rings, etc. but if it comes to that, it comes to that.

Thanks for any input!

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Re: Penn 113H 4/0 Restore Help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 08:41:05 AM »
I know what you got it for  ;D
And will gladly give your money back plus a 20 percent proffit .........
That Reel is absolutely PERFECT for using as is  with a little cleaning and polishing and maybe some Drags and Bearings .
First tear it down and see what you have .
Use 0000 Steel Wool to polish off the Rings and Spool. You will be surprised !
If you have not taken one of these apart be carefull when you take out the guts as there is a Small Spring for the Anti Reverse lever than can go in orbit . First timer I would hold pressure on the guts and remove the four screws with the front facing up wards and do this in a Box for  best capture if pieces jump out and then slowly push the shaft away  into the box holding the assembly in your hand and IF you are lucky it will be packed in old grease holding everything together and you will see the spring and Lever I refer to . Then soak everything in cheap gas  or Brake Cleaner Spray  with of course GOOD VENTILATION . Don't worry about putting it back together as we can talk you through it if you have not done one  before .

I do NOT Recommend Vinegar as it will do more harm than good on one like that as it will litterally peel off the rest of the finish once it gets under  it
You got a Keeper with the Box and papers for sure . Good Find!
Post back the pix when you get it torn down and lets see what you got inside.

If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!

Offline dusdau

• FISHING REEL LOVER
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 09:20:08 AM »
I know what you got it for  ;D
And will gladly give your money back plus a 20 percent proffit .........
That Reel is absolutely PERFECT for using as is  with a little cleaning and polishing and maybe some Drags and Bearings .
First tear it down and see what you have .
Use 0000 Steel Wool to polish off the Rings and Spool. You will be surprised !
If you have not taken one of these apart be carefull when you take out the guts as there is a Small Spring for the Anti Reverse lever than can go in orbit . First timer I would hold pressure on the guts and remove the four screws with the front facing up wards and do this in a Box for  best capture if pieces jump out and then slowly push the shaft away  into the box holding the assembly in your hand and IF you are lucky it will be packed in old grease holding everything together and you will see the spring and Lever I refer to . Then soak everything in cheap gas  or Brake Cleaner Spray  with of course GOOD VENTILATION . Don't worry about putting it back together as we can talk you through it if you have not done one  before .

I do NOT Recommend Vinegar as it will do more harm than good on one like that as it will litterally peel off the rest of the finish once it gets under  it
You got a Keeper with the Box and papers for sure . Good Find!
Post back the pix when you get it torn down and lets see what you got inside.

Thanks for that feedback. Glad it's not quite a bad as I thought it might be. Good...got brake cleaner around anyway. I'll track down some 0000 steel wool as well. Things like that...other places you see vinegar is fine, use bronze wool and not steel wool (even 0000), etc. Just gets to be a lot. Dennis at 2nd Chance Tackle has a walk through on YouTube that addresses the whole break down, including the spring. Tougher than a Jigmaster breakdown, but I'll get through it. Thanks again.

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 09:42:08 AM »
Bronze wool MIGHT work on some stuff but is way too agresive on Chrome me thinks and I have had Remarkable Results with the Steel and so I pretty much Dance with the One Who Brung Ya on this .
I had invited Dennis to join up on the old site before I built this one (https://zerohourzebco.createaforum.com/index.php)
a few years ago but Guess he has more on his plate than to mess around here .
 He has some great tutorials but I prefer to Completely disassemble my stuff where he takes some short cuts but I don't do it for the money .
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!