Reels of the Past and Some Still Here > PENN REELS

Penny Penn 60

<< < (2/2)

Polinasdad:

I'm super impressed with the way the spool and other chrome parts turned out. Nice work!!  I appreciate the tip about vinegar, I like it for brass parts, but for pitted chrome I've also noticed it gets under the chrome and in the end destroys more of the finish than the oxidization.  What do you use for solvent--I like fast drying acetone myself.

Will you do anything to the little screw hole that secures the handle cap screw?  It's stripped out, so the only fix I can imagine is to tap it out after welding it in, or perhaps tapping a new hole in another location? 

Also curious about steel wool, for working the spool over, what grade do you find works best?

Lovely work...I'll keep you in mind the next time I come across a reel worth 1 cent!!

Wompus Cat:

--- Quote from: Polinasdad on December 19, 2021, 09:47:54 AM ---
I'm super impressed with the way the spool and other chrome parts turned out. Nice work!!  I appreciate the tip about vinegar, I like it for brass parts, but for pitted chrome I've also noticed it gets under the chrome and in the end destroys more of the finish than the oxidization.  What do you use for solvent--I like fast drying acetone myself.
For crud and Grease I just use Cheap gasoline and soak parts in it a while.
I have Professional Part Cleaners and Ultra Sound at shop if Needed.

Will you do anything to the little screw hole that secures the handle cap screw?
 It's stripped out, so the only fix I can imagine is to tap it out after welding it in, or perhaps tapping a new hole in another location? 

You can just Peen The Backside of the Hole and reuse the old screw ,just don't over torque it .

Also curious about steel wool, for working the spool over, what grade do you find works best?
Depending on amount of Crud I generally start with medium grade and work down to the super Fine 0000[/sizeIf you care to use it

Lovely work...I'll keep you in mind the next time I come across a reel worth 1 cent!!

I might be able to double that in Future Purchases with inflation and all ...... ;D

--- End quote ---

We have a FOR SALE SECTION HERE  For Members .
Feel Free to post stuff .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version