Author Topic: Old Penn Side Plate Broken in 2 Pieces REPAIR  (Read 473 times)

Offline nomdeplume57

• Administrator
Old Penn Side Plate Broken in 2 Pieces REPAIR
« on: November 23, 2020, 07:23:14 AM »
Here is a side plate I  and got er back together in a few days of ..cleaning, clamping,gluing,sanding,re-glueing, sanding,grinding,sanding,polishing, etc......
This is how it came to me

Cleaned with Brake Cleaner OUTDOORS wearing Gloves and paint mask (this stuff will kill your liver,pancreas,kidneys, lungs,Hell it is Bad Stuff) several times and let dry over night!!

Then glueing liberally with Super Glue sticking together holding in place while putting lid back on Glue then wiping excess with towell and clamping with makeshift clamp placing face down on a flat surface is important.
First run on it had to wight down the clap and vice grips I used to tighten Clamp....lol

Pre Sanding  Front

Pre sanding Back

More Glue to fill valley was needed in several steps to get repair  where it could be sanded and flush

Finishing off with severap hours of sanding filling and more sanding the buffing like Hell to get to this

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:47:05 PM by Wompus Cat »

Offline odonj

• Reel Enthusiast
Re: Old Penn Side Plate Broken in 2 Pieces REPAIR
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:25:16 AM »
My Model 85 is broken in almost the same place.  Before I saw this post, I glued it with CA glue but without the extensive cleaning.  My concern is that if I actually try to use the reel it will fail in the same place.  I have some UV curing glue I may try if it does.

Offline Wompus Cat

• NFLCC MEMBER
  • Administrator
    • Site Owner
Re: Old Penn Side Plate Broken in 2 Pieces REPAIR
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »
That was a weak spot on those and many other reels of the day .That is why they started putting the Chrome rings and extra cross bars on reels to beef em up in those points.
If you get the Break CLEAN and use a good Super Glue like Gorilla Glue then it will be like a good Weld as it should break anywhere but in that spot !
If Grasshoppers carried shotguns then the Birds Wouldn't Mess With Em!!
HAVE REELS WILL  FISH !!!