Author Topic: OCEAN CITY 922 (TOP SAIL) Truly AMAZIN REEL  (Read 389 times)

Offline nomdeplume57

• Administrator
OCEAN CITY 922 (TOP SAIL) Truly AMAZIN REEL
« on: November 23, 2020, 07:20:57 AM »
One of my Favorite OCEAN CITY reels is the  922 (Top Sail).

Built in the 1950's and progressively modified through the years to the 923 .
Hopefully I  intend  to (in the not too distant future expound )on the qualities of this fine made Reel and its upgrades .

Here is a 922 B Guts
Click on image to enlarge

Drag Washers for the front of Spindle are Comparable to Penn309 and 113 H and I have used them with no problems.

There were MANY so called updates and modifications over the years  NONE WERE IMPROVEMENT'S in my opinion ...lol

PENN was KICKING ASS in the day  so I think OCEAN CITY  tried to save money and it is pretty obvious to me as I have seen how they did it .
 From taking out the Brass and Bronze components and replacing with Stainless, Taking the Wrench off the Handle, Changing the end Bearing's (Several Times),  Removing the Tensioner  off the side for putting pressure on the Level wind which could be used to set line Drag for Casting different weights, they removed the Spring loaded oil ports to give way to a piece of crap hole in the side with a piece of cotton to soak up lube and hopefully get to the parts needing lubrication along with dirt, water ,sand , and Grit as well . And to put it Mildly !
They Took the Iconic METAL BADGE off the Side Plate and stuck a  CHICKEN S.H.I.T little Sticker in place.  Apparently they didn't think enough off their product to put a lasting Badge of Honor on it any more .
This Down Grade of Quality and Penny Pinching production cuts   was evident in ALL of  OCEAN CITY REELS in the day and that with other probable BAD  management problems ,equipment upgrades needed, and  rising cost of materials and and former employee OTTO HENZE  (PENN's DADDY) Building Better and Cheaper Reels, then being bought out by an old line Sword and farm equipment company (TRUE TEMPER) put OCEAN CITY REEL COMPANY in The GRAVE......

« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 09:23:27 AM by Wompus Cat »